Zovirax is used for treating chickenpox (varicella) or shingles (herpes zoster) and treating or suppressing genital herpes infections. Zovirax is an antiviral. It works by stopping viral replication. However, Zovirax does not eliminate the virus, is not a cure, and does not prevent transmission to others.
Use Zovirax as directed by your doctor!
- Take Zovirax by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Zovirax is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Start therapy with Zovirax at the earliest sign or symptom of shingles or genital herpes (pain, burning, blisters).
- If treating an acute outbreak, continue using Zovirax for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- For suppressive therapy, Zovirax works best if it is taken at the same times each day.
- If you miss a dose of Zovirax, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zovirax.
Store Zovirax at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zovirax out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Acyclovir