Minocycline is used for treating certain infections. It may also be used with other medicines to treat severe acne. Minocycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of certain bacteria and allowing the body's immune system to kill them.
Use Minocycline as directed by your doctor.
- Take Minocycline by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Minocycline whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take Minocycline with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Minocycline.
- Do not take antacids that contain aluminum, calcium, or magnesium; bismuth-containing products; iron; urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate); or multivitamins with minerals or zinc salts (eg, zinc sulfate) within 2 to 3 hours before or 2 hours after you take Minocycline. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Minocycline for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Minocycline works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- If you miss a dose of Minocycline, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Minocycline.
Store Minocycline at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Minocycline out of the reach of children and away from pets.