Vantin is used for treating mild to moderate infections caused by certain bacteria. Vantin is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall so that the wall ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Use Vantin as directed by your doctor.
- Take Vantin by mouth with food.
- Vantin works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Vantin for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Vantin should not be given within 2 hours of antacids or H2 antagonists (eg, famotidine).
- If you miss a dose of Vantin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose, and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vantin.
Store Vantin at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vantin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Cefpodoxime proxetil.