Advair Diskus is used for long-term treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in certain patients. It may also be used to treat other breathing conditions as determined by your doctor. Advair Diskus is a long-acting corticosteroid and bronchodilator combination. It works by reducing inflammation and widening the airways in the lungs, which helps you breath more easily.
Use Advair Diskus as directed by your doctor.
- Do not use a spacer with Advair Diskus.
- Always ready and use this device in a level, flat position.
- Hold the device in one hand and put the thumb of your other hand on the thumb grip. Push your thumb away from you as far as it will go until the mouthpiece appears and snaps into position.
- Hold the device in a level, flat position with the mouthpiece toward you. Slide the lever away from you as far as it will go until it clicks.
- Do NOT close or tilt the device, play with the lever, or move the lever more than 1 time. This may release or waste extra doses.
- Hold the device away from your mouth and breathe out fully. Do NOT breathe into the inhaler. Put the mouthpiece to your lips. Breathe in quickly and deeply through the device.
- Remove the device from your mouth. Hold your breath for about 10 seconds, or as long as is comfortable. Then breathe out slowly.
- Close the device. Put your thumb on the thumb grip and slide it back toward you as far as it will go. The device will click shut and the lever will return to its original position.
- Your dose of medicine is a very fine powder. Most, but not all, patients can taste or feel the dose. Do NOT use another dose if you do not taste or feel the medicine. If you are not sure if you are receiving your dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Rinse your mouth with water after using Advair Diskus. DO NOT swallow the rinse solution. Spit the rinse water out.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, wait a few minutes between using Advair Diskus and other inhalers, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Take your doses of Advair Diskus about 12 hours apart, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Never wash the mouthpiece or any other part of the inhaler. Keep it dry. Store Advair Diskus in a dry place.
- Throw Advair Diskus away 1 month after you remove it from the foil pouch, or after the dose indicator reads "0," whichever comes first.
- You may breathe more easily after the first dose of Advair Diskus. However, it may take 1 week or longer to achieve the most benefit.
- Use Advair Diskus on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Advair Diskus at the same time each day will help you remember to use it. Do not stop using Advair Diskus even if you feel better unless your doctor tells you.
- If you miss a dose of Advair Diskus, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any question you may have about how to use Advair Diskus.
Store Advair Diskus between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Advair Diskus out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Fluticasone propionate, Salmeterol xinafoate.