Torsemide is used for treatment of edema (swelling) associated with heart, kidney, or liver failure, or with conditions in which there is excess body water. It is also used alone or with other medicines to treat high blood pressure. Torsemide is a loop diuretic. It works by making the kidney eliminate larger amounts of electrolytes (especially sodium and potassium salts) and water than normal (diuretic effect).
Use Torsemide as directed by your doctor.
- Take Torsemide by mouth with or without food.
- Torsemide may increase the amount of urine or cause you to urinate more often when you first start taking it. To keep this from disturbing your sleep, try to take your dose before 6 pm.
- If you also take cholestyramine, do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking Torsemide. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- Avoid eating licorice or Korean ginseng while taking Torsemide.
- If you miss a dose of Torsemide, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Torsemide.
Store Torsemide at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Torsemide out of the reach of children and away from pets.