Zetia is used for treating high blood cholesterol along with a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. It may be used alone or with other medicines. It is also used to treat high blood sitosterol and campesterol along with diet therapy. Zetia is an antihyperlipidemic agent. It works by reducing the amount of cholesterol or other sterols that your body absorbs from your diet.
Use Zetia as directed by your doctor.
- Take Zetia by mouth with or without food.
- Taking Zetia at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you also take a bile acid sequestrant (eg, cholestyramine, colesevelam, colestipol), do not take it within 4 hours before or 2 hours after taking Zetia. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- Continue to use Zetia even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose.
- If you miss a dose of Zetia, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zetia.
Store Zetia at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zetia out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Ezetimibe.