Aricept is used for treating dementia (eg, impairment of memory, judgment, and abstract thinking; changes in personality) in patients with Alzheimer disease. Aricept is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the amount of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the brain, which may help reduce the symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Use Aricept as directed by your doctor.
- Take Aricept by mouth in the evening right before bed, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Take Aricept with or without food.
- Take Aricept on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Aricept at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Aricept even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose.
- If you miss a dose of Aricept, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss several doses of Aricept. You may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose to avoid side effects.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aricept.
Store Aricept at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aricept out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Donepezil.