Depakote is used to treat various types of seizure disorders. It is sometimes used together with other seizure medications. It is also used to treat the manic phase of bipolar disorders (manic-depressive illness), and to prevent migraine headaches. Depakote affects chemicals in the body that may be involved in causing seizures.
Use Depakote as directed by your doctor.
- Take Depakote by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Depakote whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Drink plenty of water while you are taking Depakote. Your dose may need to be changed if you do not get enough fluids each day.
- Do not stop taking Depakote suddenly, especially if you are taking Depakote to prevent seizures. Suddenly stopping Depakote may cause severe seizures to occur. If you need to stop Depakote, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Taking Depakote at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Depakote even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose. Depakote works best when there is a constant level of it in your body.
- If you miss a dose of Depakote, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Depakote.
Store Depakote between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Depakote out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Divalproex.