Topamax is used for treating seizures in certain patients. It may be used alone or with other medicines. It is also used to prevent migraine headaches. Topamax is an anticonvulsant that is also effective for preventing migraine headaches. It affects several chemicals in the brain that help to reduce seizure activity and prevent migraine headaches from occurring.
Use Topamax as directed by your doctor.
- Take Topamax by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Topamax to prevent kidney stones from forming.
- Swallow Topamax whole. Do not crush, break, or chew before swallowing.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Topamax. Suddenly stopping Topamax may cause seizures to occur more often. If you need to stop Topamax, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Topamax, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Topamax.
Store Topamax at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Topamax out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Topiramate.