Cafergot is indicated as therapy to abort or prevent vascular headache, e.g., migraine, migraine variants, or so-called "histaminic cephalalgia." Cafergot is a combination of 2 vasoconstrictors. It works by constricting blood vessels in the lining of the brain, which helps to decrease the pain from migraine headaches.
Use Cafergot as directed by your doctor.
- Cafergot may be taken with or without food.
- Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice may affect the amount of Cafergot in your blood. Talk with your doctor before including grapefruit or grapefruit juice in your diet.
- Cafergot is only to be used as needed for a migraine attack.
- Take Cafergot at the first sign of a headache. If the initial dose does not relieve your headache, additional doses may be needed according to your doctor's instructions. Do not take a dose of Cafergot within 30 minutes of your last dose.
- Do not take more than 6 tablets for a single migraine headache or more than 10 tablets during any 7-day period without first checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Cafergot and you still have a headache, take it as soon as you remember. Do not take a dose of Cafergot within 30 minutes of your last dose. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cafergot.
Store Cafergot at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tight, light-resistant container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cafergot out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredients: Ergotamine tartrate and Caffeine.