Orlistat is used for managing obesity in overweight adults. It may also be used to reduce the risk of weight regain after previous weight loss. It is used along with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet. Orlistat is a gastrointestinal lipase inhibitor. It works by blocking the digestion of fats from the diet.
Use Orlistat as directed by your doctor.
- Take Orlistat by mouth with each meal. Do not take more than 3 capsules daily.
- If a meal is missed or contains no fat, do not take a dose of Orlistat.
- Orlistat may decrease your absorption of vitamins. Take a multivitamin once a day at bedtime.
- If you also take a thyroid hormone (eg, levothyroxine), do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking Orlistat. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take cyclosporine, do not take it within 2 hours before or after taking Orlistat. Check with your doctor before you take Orlistat with cyclosporine.
- If you miss a dose of Orlistat, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Orlistat.
Store Orlistat at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Orlistat out of the reach of children.